My goal for this was to try a new surface: Golden pastel ground on matboard. I had some pre-cut pieces that were given to me by a photographer friend years ago, and I finally decided to give them a try. The Golden ground was untinted, and the board didn't curl or buckle as much as I thought it might. Nonetheless, I placed it under some heavy books to press flat after it had dried. This particular piece was a 1:2 ratio, which sounded fun to try.
I used an underpainting for this, shown below, just the usual isopropyl alcohol and pastel. I decided over half way into the painting process to try the alcohol wash, which ended up filling up the tooth of the surface a bit where the focal tree is. Otherwise, I was quite pleased with the surface.
The painting...it is actually flipped from the original photo, and I opted to simplify and brighten the palette, being inspired by a delightful painting of a Cypress tree done in oils while blog surfing. There are elements of the painting I like, but the trees and shrubs are a bit too contrived as far as their edges and shapes go, and there is no sense of space, I think due to values being too dark for the distal row of trees. I also ended up cropping the painting from the original scale.
This painting, and the last field painting I did, were good practice, as I'm thinking that a series of such paintings is in order based on photos taken during our drive across the farm belt. I saw many such fields/tree rows during the drive, and I found them to be quite attractive.
"Summer Field #2"