Thursday, August 26, 2010

Dreamscape #2 - pastel

A second in an indeterminate series of cloudscapes.  The goal with this one:  looser and more abstracted.  I also wanted to show a variety in the direction and shape of the colors and strokes used here.  Some areas are blended to give a sense of soft atmosphere, while others remain as scumbled layers.  I also avoided using any of the same colors I used in the last cloudscape - it's all too easy to get into a rut with colors.  So, these are Unisons and some Senneliers primarily, with a white W&N I had.  It might be a bit busy, and I added the darker purple at the bottom later, which I probably could have left out.

Looking at the photo of the painting, it might work better if I removed even more of the wispy vaporous clouds in the upper left side; I adjusted those from the reference photo as it was.

"Dreamscape #2 - 12x16"
Strathmore 400-series paper, sanded

Now, maybe time to use a warm palette and do some sunsets.

2 comments:

  1. Actually, I think it works perfectly as is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You think? I think it's true that we are our own worst critics; we see flaws and issues that no one else does.

    I appreciate your thoughts, and I'm glad you like it :).

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughtful comments add value to this blog - thank you so much for taking the time to leave them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...