Saturday, January 22, 2011

Red Barn and Foothills - pastel

Another quick break from the oils....an experiment to try snow and high-key colors on a black surface.  It is a home-made surface of Golden pumice ground and black acrylic paint applied to 4-ply archival matboard.

Unlike the Four Corners Roadtrip series, these paintings aren't done in temporal sequence.  This, in fact, was based on one of the last photos I took before the sun really beat it back behind the horizon and I put the camera away.  The light on the foothills of the Jemez Mountains was incredible, and I tried to capture it in this painting.  I kept a single building in - a western-styled barn, I'm guessing, from my blurry reference photo.  And it had to be red.

Red Barn and Foothills
~11x 7.5 - pastel on black-toned pumice board

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughtful comments add value to this blog - thank you so much for taking the time to leave them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...