Thursday, July 19, 2012

Cottonwoods near the river

Summer Cottonwoods - 12x12", plein air
pastel on light brown cardstock
Yesterday afternoon's painting, down at one of my favorite locations behind the mall.  A fenced off field containing some sheds or buildings of a bygone era are right next to the section of the Animas River Trail.

The view faces to the north, slightly west, and the La Platas can be seen in the distance.

Wayne fished while I painted this, and while this cloud changed forms while I painted, it remained in essentially the same location...until about 10 minutes before I finished, and suddenly, the sky was filled with clouds.

A few sprinkles hit the windshield literally seconds after I put the easel in the car - talk about timing!

From our top deck yesterday afternoon:


We are leaving tomorrow for yet another three-night trip in the mountains - this time, over by Rico.  Our Bayfield friends, Sarah and Todd, are already camping in the area with their horses, and we'll be rendezvousing with them in an area known as "the meadows".

As always, the painting gear is coming along, and the river to paint this time will be the Dolores.  I might even see if I can drive over and paint in Rico itself.

Everyone have a great weekend!

4 comments:

  1. Have a wonderful and inspiring weekend!

    Love the cottonwoods. And the cloud photo is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks LeAnn - it seems the summer is flying right by, so we are trying to make the most of the season by these trips to the mountains. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The trees are so graceful and the clouds are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Sheri - I think this is a particularly nice stand of cottonwoods; I'm sure I'll paint it again.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughtful comments add value to this blog - thank you so much for taking the time to leave them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...