Sunday, July 29, 2012

Quartet of plein air paintings - pastel

Today, I was on a roll, and pushed my plein air total for 2012 past 70.

First, the large one, from a park south of town:
"Passing To the North" - 12x12", plein air
pastel on black cardstock
Then, smaller, 10-minute cloud studies:  one at the same location as the above painting:

Cloud Study with Slopes - 6x6"
And, two more at home, from inside my studio looking west:

Cloud Study - from deck - 6x6"
And east, with an attempt at the moon:

Waxing Gibbous Moon with Cloud - 8.5x11"

6 comments:

  1. These are splendid, especially Passing To The North!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I love how you captured the waxing gibbous moon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Casey - the larger one turned out maybe better than I'd thought it would. The others were just for the heck of it and practice.

    Thanks LeAnn :). The moon...it was deceptively hard to paint! Not easy on this paper to make it look convincing. But, I love this phase of the moon in the late afternoon sky, and wanted to at least give it a whirl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love your piece entitled "Passing To The North". You have a great way of doing trees and vegetation that works without going overboard on detail!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are gorgeous! I agree with Casey, passing to the north is my favorite too. I really love the way the dark paper shows through your strokes. You really make me want to get out and paint plein aire!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Vanessa - I appreciate your comments, as it is always my goal to eliminate unnecessary detail from my landscapes. Thank you!

    Thanks, Crystal. Now, where would you find the time to do plein air painting between all these fabulous studio pieces you've been doing and tending to your brood? Well, one of these days, we'll go out and make that happen, right :)?

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughtful comments add value to this blog - thank you so much for taking the time to leave them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...