Monday, May 16, 2011

Still life of glazed clay vessel - 6x6 inches

Glazed Vessel
6x6"
oil on 1/4 wood panel

Painted sometime last week from a wonderful little glazed vase that I purchased not too long ago from the DAC gallery shop one day when I was volunteering.  It was made by a local ceramic artist Sherry Potter Walker; unfortunately, I cannot find a website for her work.   It has this beautiful mosaic of glazes in purple-blues, blue-greens and earthy browns, and even though I knew it was a test of my still life skills, I couldn't resist painting it.  

It wasn't easy to paint with its high-gloss reflections.  The twin white shaped white spots are the reflection from my lamp, and the light curvy rectangular shape to the right is the window next to my studio.  

When I first painted this and photographed it, the photo was so horrendous due to glare from the paint and brushstrokes that there was no way I could post it.  Now that it's dried, the glare has gone, and photographing it outside on a small easel helped a bit.   Still looks better in person, where the shadows cast by the vase can actually be seen.

This was the first time I've ever incorporated tube black into a painting.  It was a staple of my equine art days, but something I haven't felt necessary to use in 2D work.  It definitely has its uses periodically.  

---------
On a completely unrelated note, someone posted this video to an outdoor forum I read, and I just had to share it.   These kinetic wave sculptures are simply astounding, and you will not regret spending 10 minutes watching this.  The artist, who lives in the Bay Area,  is a mathematical and artistic genius; Da Vinci is probably channeling through him.  

The fact that he uses found or recycled materials for many of his sculptures makes them that much more wonderful:




4 comments:

  1. Good job. Glazed stuff is hard to paint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jala. First time to try and paint something that complex with reflections.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You painted the light highlights from your lamp and the window tell the perfect story of the piece's shiny surface. I loved the video! Thanks for sharing (I've passed it on to the mechanical engineers in my life).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Katherine - thank you for the visit and comment! I'm glad you enjoyed (and shared) that video; it is marvelous to see human creativity, ingenuity and math come together like that, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughtful comments add value to this blog - thank you so much for taking the time to leave them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...