Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Chaco #7

Insanity, I tell you!

Chaco #7
12x9 inches
pastel on black Strathmore

Is it too over-the-top?  Maybe, but that full-on-disco sky refuses to be ignored.  It grabs your attention.  

I wasn't sure it was going to work out, and I had to brush off 2 attempts at the broken wall face before I got something remotely acceptable that wasn't going directly in the trash.  The original colors I had chosen included yellow and red, but all that remain of them are on the beams; they looked atrocious when I tried to use them there [on the broken wall], although tiny dashes still remain in the flat wall...can you see them?).  So, I just kept with the blue/green theme of the rest of the dwelling.  Works much better.  It's sort of growing on me.  

The source of my palette inspiration for this piece?  Fellow blogger Diane Mannion's recent post on her DPW challenge entry:  looook at those brilliant primaries and secondaries in her painting!  I discovered Diane's work and blog through one of her earlier DPW challenge paintings; be sure to check out the rest of her wonderful oil paintings during your visit.

On another front, I have decided to start up a studio page on Facebook.  I had one last year, but when I permanently deleted my personal account, that went away as well.  When I found out I could have a business page without having to have a personal account as well, I decided to roll with it.  There doesn't seem to be much cross-over between us blogger folk and those who rely only on FB for their social networking, so it's a good way to reach additional viewers.  I hope, anyway.

The fact that it is free, can be viewed by non-FB people and has the capacity to have many albums as a static source of one's work clinched the deal.  I'll keep it as a streamlined, soundbite-oriented version of my blog.  So, for those that prefer the format of FB for updates, here's the link:


And, finally, on the subject of inspiration again, I thought I'd share this video with everyone.  A friend turned me on to Mr. Conte's music last year, and even though I don't know a word of Italian, it doesn't matter.  Can you not listen to this and want to start pushing some pastel or paint around on a canvas?




5 comments:

  1. As a self-processed color-holic I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paintings and photos, all looking mighty fine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Cindy! Every time I drop by your blog, I see lots of color happening, so I hear you there :).

    Thanks, Jala - you know how often I'm out on these trips/hikes, and I see something cool and think: "I bet Jala would love this!"? It's fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think my comment got lost from the other day.

    Not insanity. I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the vote of confidence on this, Casey. I know when my "colorist" friends think it works that I'm doing okay :).

    I sometimes wonder how many other comments get lost by Blogger. I hope no one thinks I deleted them.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughtful comments add value to this blog - thank you so much for taking the time to leave them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...