Thursday, March 24, 2011

Rose - floral painting, 6x6

tags:  original art - pink rose - oil painting - alla prima - surrealism
--------


"A picture is first of all a product of the imagination of the artist; it must never be a copy." -Edgar Degas


Rose, Enjoying a Day at the Beach
6x6
oil on wood panel

Here's the latest floral painting that I mentioned in the previous blog post.  It's admittedly off on a tangent, perhaps a weird one, but I decided to post it anyway.  For my FB studio page entries, I've taken to posting quotes along with the painting.  I decided to include the same quote for this post as well, as I think it's apropos for this painting in particular.

I don't think that all art has to be beautiful, serious or even have a point.  Sometimes, it can just be funny.  Did you laugh when you saw this painting, or did it elicit an eyeroll?  If you smiled or laughed, then thank you - that's what I was hoping for.   It doesn't have to make sense.  

I almost wiped this; the rose was exceptionally difficult to paint, but I forced the issue and now I think it mostly resembles a rose.  It is far removed from its original location in a home garden along New London Rd in Mystic, to this imaginary beach.   We are back to overcast skies and some snow flurries here today, so a cheery flower at a beach sounds pretty good right about now.



2 comments:

  1. Very cool. Also love the title, and the surrealism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jala! I was starting to wonder if I shouldn't have posted it after all. I've always enjoyed surrealistic art - at least the non-creepy kind. I've never thought I had the imagination to paint my own, though. Maybe that will change!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughtful comments add value to this blog - thank you so much for taking the time to leave them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...