Sunday, March 6, 2011

Tulip Trio in Pink

tags:  pink tulip - floral art - original oil painting - 6x8 - surrealism - for sale - alla prima
---------

Tulip Trio in Pink
8x6 inches - oil on canvas panel

Yes, another floral in oils has somehow slipped in between the architectural pastels.  It is, after all, almost springtime and these beauties will begin emerging from winter dormancy within a month.  I painted this yesterday, on a whim, after going through my many reference photos of flowers and selecting some for a series of 6x6" wood panels I have recently made up, and decided to keep this in a portrait format.

Have you ever had a painting just wander off in its own direction as you painted it?  This was one of those paintings.  The original photo was taken against a shingled wall and building base back in Mystic last April - ugly, but I loved the flowers.  I originally planned on a neutral background, similar to the rose portrait painting I did last month.  Somehow, it evolved into something resembling a simple abstracted landscape.  I pushed paint around, removed some, added more, switched colors and finally decided to stop.  I can't stop thinking that it might look really, really cool with some clouds.  Or a completely out of context mountain range in the distance.  

I don't know if it works or not, but for some odd reason, I like it.  I do love the color harmony I get with oils; this has thalo violet, cadmium red medium, permanent rose, sap green and a pale cobalt blue hue with white.  

Back to the pastel Ancient Architecture series tomorrow.  



8 comments:

  1. Tulips are my fav flower (did you know they continue to grow even after cutting) so I can't think of a bad way to paint tulips...keep experimenting, these had not said all they have to say yet! Triple LIKE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some clouds amd a mountain range in the distance? That would be just like your icon. Fantastic idea! Wm

    ReplyDelete
  3. My work often evolves into something different along the way - sometimes for the good, sometimes the bad! I like the your style in this is more loose, not just a direct portrayal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cindy - I actually did not know that about tulips; how interesting! I agree that there is probably no bad way to paint tulips - they lovely no matter what. I'm glad you like 'em!

    Hi William - Georgia O'Keeffe made the flower/landscape/sky thing work really well, so I might have to give that a try. Thanks!

    Hi Jill - thanks much for dropping in to comment; I appreciate it :). Despite the possibility of an idea not working, you never know until you try, right? So, it's always worth a try - that's how we evolve as artists :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are lovely, Sonya! Wish we had tulips in Florida, too hot and the only ones we get are potted and wilt fast. And I agree, an airy landscape would work well behind your flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Diane! I know...the climate zones are such trade-offs. No crocus or tulips in the south, but tender bulb beauties like Hippaestrum/Amaryllis can be grown outdoors. I hope to see tulips here in Durango this spring :).

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a nice springtimey image to see...while it snows outside.
    More later.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know...right? At least the sun is out and starting to melt the 3" of snow away that fell last night. More flowers in the future to combat the lingering winter doldrums ;).

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughtful comments add value to this blog - thank you so much for taking the time to leave them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...